This is Iceland

This is Iceland
Gullfoss Falls

Thursday, July 25, 2013


I’m trying to put my fingers on it, but I recall some discussion in the last two months about some hot springs at the end of the road north of one of our hotel stays, and this was understood to be the furthest north point on our trip. From looking carefully at the West Fjords map, I am guessing this might be the town of Bolungarvik which is perhaps 25 miles north of Ísafjörður. Our plans have changed and we will be staying in Ísafjörður only one night now, so the hot springs visit may not happen (if I’m even remembering all of this correctly in the first place).
 
But assuming we do visit Bolungarvik, the center of town there is at coordinates 66° 9’ 35.1” N 23° 15’ 11.4” W (we tend to call these GPS coordinates these days, but before global positioning satellite technology, they were simply longitude and latitude coordinates). The Arctic Circle lies at 66° 30’ N latitude. So we will be within about 20.25’ of the Arctic Circle. In practical terms, that’s about 23 miles as the crow flies. Is that a big deal, you ask? You bet your sweet geekdom it is! And regardless of whether or not this particular destination is reached, I will be sure to log the furthest north point we do reach, and will post it here.

2 comments:

  1. I will be anxiously awaiting this news cause I think it's totally cool to be that close to the Artic Circle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will need to listen very carefully: at the Arctic Circle no one can hear you scream.

    ReplyDelete