This is Iceland

This is Iceland
Gullfoss Falls

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Day 1

We arrived in Keflavik half an hour early, grabbed our bags and the mini van that John rented and headed out to Hotel Eldhester (Fire Horse). We were politely informed, at 8:00 AM, that our rooms would not be available until noon. So we had a quick breakfast and headed out to see the sights.

Our first stop was Geysir (yes, that's where we get the word for geysers). This geyser is smaller than Yellowstone's famous Old Faithful, which I have photographed several times. And the eruptions are very short in duration. What makes this one so much fun is that it erupts with a bang about once every 5 minutes or so. The first eruption made me jump - I was not set up to photograph it. But then I set up and took this amongst others.



Our next stop was Gullfoss, a magnificent multiple layered waterfall channeling an amazing volume of water.

 


Then lunch, a yawn-filled drive back to the hotel, and a three-hour nap. I'm glad we powered on through today. More tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I laughed cause I could just see you jumping when the geyser went off, how cool to see one so far from Yellowstone.

    ReplyDelete